My parents came down to visit for the weekend. On Saturday they watched Logan for us while we went to a Celebration of Life for a family friend who passed away recently. It was a really nice service.
My parents had a blast taking care of Logan. He was excited to see them, too, and to show off his new biking skills. 😉
Then on Sunday we had a mother’s day lunch at our house. Michael’s mom and stepdad came over and Michael’s brother Doug brought tulips for all the moms. It was very sweet. <3
Unfortunately, I ended up with a stomach bug Saturday so that kind of ruined my Mother’s Day. 🙁 Michael and my mom did all the food prep and cooking. I didn’t want to risk infecting anyone. Michael made a frittata:
It was pretty good. If we make it again I’d put some cheese on top. 🙂 This is the recipe:
- 5 large eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 slices Wright Brand Bacon, chopped (I used their Applewood Smoked Bacon)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, diced
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
- 2 cups baby spinach
- Fresh basil, chopped, as garnish
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Whisk together your eggs, milk, basil, oregano, and salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
- Cook your chopped bacon until crispy. Here is a great link with some tips!
- Add olive oil, garlic and spinach to the skillet and cook until the spinach is wilted, about 3 minutes. Add in the tomatoes and stir to combine.
- Pour the egg mixture over the spinach and then stir in the bacon. Stir the entire skillet once or until well combined. Let sit (without stirring) for about 2 minutes, just until the edges are set.
- Place the entire skillet in the oven and cook for 15 minutes, or until the eggs are set and slightly golden.
- Top with some freshly chopped basil if desired.
- Slice and serve. Enjoy!
On the side we had fruit salad and a Trader Joe’s kale and broccoli salad mix. I felt really bad that the lunch didn’t go quite as I planned because I got sick. Such a bummer! But the food turned out really well and we all sat outside on the deck in the gorgeous summery weather.
Dessert was the Trader Joe’s Key Lime Pie. I’ve never bought it before–SO GOOD! It was smaller than I was expecting but it turned out to be the perfect size for the lunch.
We opened Mother’s Day cards and gifts. Logan made me a card and this present at daycare:
How cute is that? 😀
Despite being sick for most of the weekend, it was nice seeing family and spending time together. I’m really looking forward to more meal outside on our deck. Happy Mother’s day!