A few months ago, I mentioned I had a CT scan on my sinuses because of all the horrific sinus infections I’ve been having. I had a consultation with a surgeon on the phone when I got the results back and then I had an in-person consultation/second opinion with another surgeon in December to talk more about a potential surgery. I was kind of on the fence and kept going back and forth on whether or not to do the surgery.

Then mid-December I got a cold and it turned into a sinus infection (of course) and it never really went away. It kept coming back. I decided to do the surgery. (The sinus infection came back at Christmas, then again after my birthday in January and then for Valentine’s Day and then finally I went back to the doctor at the end of February because I was super freaked out about my upcoming surgery and they gave me super duper antibiotics that probably killed everything in my body……..) Since December I basically got 2-3 week breaks where I wasn’t sick or on antibiotics and the rest of the time I was sick with a sinus infection. UGH!

I wasn’t really looking forward to surgery. No surgery is great. (I’ve had two previously surgeries for other things.) But I couldn’t really get a good idea on what the recovery was going to be like. Everyone that had sinus surgery had a different experience–some had super easy, great experiences with not a lot of pain or bad experiences post-op. Some had horrific pain and horrible after experiences. So I guess it was like childbirth. Everyone was different and everyone had a different experience.

My surgery was scheduled for Monday, March 25th. I was really hoping the surgery would be first thing in the morning, since I was fasting for it, but unfortunately I had to arrive for check in at 11am! Boo!!! I set my alarm for 2:30am so I could eat (8 hours before arrival time) and I’m glad I did. I had a protein shake, some leftover pizza from Logan’s birthday party and strawberries.

That morning, Logan went to daycare and Michael went to work for a half-day. My parents were in town to help. My dad took me to the hospital and then Michael met us there.

I don’t handle pain pills or anesthesia well (historically I get really really sick and throw up). So they brought out all the big guns. They gave me every anti-nausea medication known to man (I’m not even kidding) plus a patch to wear for a few days.

I got checked in to pre-op and had bloodwork done, got the I.V., met the two anesthesiologists, a nurse that would be with me the whole time and my surgeon. Then Michael and my Dad came back for a few minutes before it was time to go back.

It was weird…I’ve had surgery twice before and I remember them getting me set up in the operating room and then putting a mask on me and telling me to count backwards then I’d fall asleep. This time I was awake and aware of everything and then all of a sudden I was waking up in post-op! It was crazy! My surgery was 2 hours I guess.

So I tried to warn them that I have a hard time recovering from anesthesia and everyone was like “yeah yeah everyone does” but then they actually got a taste of it! The recovery process was supposed to take an hour, but it was more like 3 for me. We didn’t actually leave the hospital until almost 7pm and they had to give me a shot of ephedrine (I think?) because I was having such a hard time waking up. My heart rate and pulse would drop too low. (I told you so!!)

That part was not fun.

We got home and I was famished. Diet be dammed this week. I had half a bagel with cream cheese, a piece of pizza, some strawberries, tons of water and a protein bar. Then I got ready for bed.

I wasn’t in a ton of pain, so that was good. It was mostly just really uncomfortable and gross. I will have the gauze on my face for a little bit while I bleed. I’m supposed to do the sinus rinse three times a day, take it easy, and then next week I go back to the doctor and get the splints taken out.

Author: Lisa Eirene

About Lisa Eirene Lisa lost 110 pounds through calorie counting and exercise. She swims, bikes, runs, hikes and is enjoying life in Portland, Oregon. Her weight loss story has been featured in First Magazine, Yahoo Health, Woman's Day and

6 thoughts on “Post-Op”

  1. Wishing you a speedy recovery! I’m sure while the next week or two will be awful it will be worth it in the end! And as far as eating – just concentrate on what makes you feel good ๐Ÿ™‚

  2. Hope you heal up quickly and get some lasting relief from those stoopid sinus infections! And isn’t it funny that they believed you about how you get sick from anesthesia, but they doubted you about your recovery process…

Leave a Reply to Beth Sher Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

CommentLuv badge