I wanted to give an update on Stevie. You can read the original post about his ordeal. Since then, he’s had an infection, been back to the emergency vet a few times and was partially reblocked. It’s been very emotional and stressful and I never got too comfortable, because I knew we were going to have to make a choice.
Over Labor Day weekend, Stevie got sick again. Sunday morning I woke up to a lot of blood. I took him in and he thankfully wasn’t blocked again (it had been about a week since he was partially blocked the last time) but he had an infection again from the crystals and the vet said he was going to be blocked again. He also said Stevie was the most severe case of this issue he’d ever seen.
I felt so discouraged. I had hoped he was getting better, but, he wasn’t. The stuff we’d been doing was just a bandaid. So now it was either euthanasia or the corrective surgery to fix the issues.
If you don’t know much about this issue, and if you have male cats–READ THIS. Basically, it’s one of the most common issues in male cats, and deadly if not caught in time.
I decided to do the surgery. The emergency vets in Tualatin are awesome. They have been great this whole time and I never felt like they were trying to up-sell me or charge me for things. They were very understanding about how expensive this stuff is and how to cut some costs if they weren’t necessary. The vet called around because it’s a specialist that has to do the surgery and found one he likes that was available.
Stevie had surgery Sunday evening and then stayed in the hospital overnight to recover. Everyone that’s met Stevie loves him. <3 All the vets say “Oh my god your cat is so sweet, I love him.”
Stevie came home Monday mid-morning. He’s in a cone for two weeks. We have to make sure he heals properly and doesn’t run or jump, basically take it easy.
He’s doing well so far. He’s getting more energy, though, and doesn’t want to be cooped up in the bathroom by himself anymore.
I set up Logan’s baby monitor in the bathroom so I can check on him. 🙂
I’m glad we did the surgery and I am hopeful. I am hopeful, too, that we can soon relax.