I think I’ve been back to keto for about two full weeks now? Maybe three. I weighed in last weekend and I was happy to see that I was exactly the same weight I was right before my surgery. So taking two weeks off and eating all the carbs didn’t do a ton of damage, thankfully! I weighed in this week and am down another pound, so moving in the right direction.
I’ve doing ok back on the keto diet. I’m still struggling to get to 20 net carbs a day. No matter what I do, I am still averaging around 25-30 net carbs each day. I looked at my diet and I guess I should probably drop my plain Greek yogurt. I mean, it’s not a ton of carbs because I eat a half a serving, but I add berries to it, and those are the carbs. I thought I was being smart by adding a spoonful of ground flaxseed (fiber) and chia seeds to it to try and offset it but I am still getting carbs with the berries. So I think next week I will try and go back to trying nuts, bone broth and maybe cheese sticks for snacks at work and see what happens.
I found a keto recipe website I like a lot. I’ve only tried a few of the recipe so far but so far I like it and the website/instagram is really visually pretty, so there’s that, too. 🙂
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoon avocado oil
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 4 lbs bone-in, skin-on chicken
Salsa Criolla (Lime Pickled Onions + Tomatoes)
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 roma tomatoes, quartered
- Juice of 2 limes
- 1 teaspoon salt
Tangy Green Sauce:
- 1 large bunch cilantro, stems and all
- 10 large mint leaves
- 1 jalapeño
- 2 cloves garlic
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- Salt, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400° F.
- Mix together the cumin, avocado oil, paprika, salt, pepper, oregano, and lemon zest in a small bowl. Brush the chicken with the lemon juice then rub with spice mixture. Place the chicken in a large cast iron skillet and transfer to the oven.
- Roast the chicken for about 60 minutes until the internal temperature reads 165° F.
- While the chicken is roasting make the salsa criolla by placing all of the ingredients into a jar and shaking well, refrigerate until ready to use. *They get better as they sit so feel free to make ahead
- To make the cilantro green sauce simply blend together all of the ingredients.
- Serve the chicken with the green sauce, salsa criolla, and additional lime if desired.
Calories: 824 Net Carbs: 4.3 Protein: 58.2
I used chicken thighs instead of a whole chicken. So I think the calories are a little off for the recipe. Chicken thighs are generally around 250-300 calories each, depending on the size (we had small ones). The sauce was made with real mayo, so there was definitely calories there. But overall, I don’t think the dinner was 800 calories worth. I’d put it more around 500.
I cooked the chicken thighs for about 45 minutes in the oven.
The dinner was absolutely divine! One of my favorite new recipes I’ve tried! I loved the tangy sauce. I love the “salsa” with the chicken. All the flavors worked great together.
This would be a great recipe to make for a dinner party if you want to impress your friends!