We’re getting to that time of year where thoughts turn from Christmas shopping to celebrating the holidays and the new year. The new year always symbolizes new beginnings. Out with the old, in with the new.
Why wait until New Year’s Day to make a list of resolutions? Why not start thinking about it in a preventive way and try to avoid the extra poundage we’re all bound to accrue the next 3 weeks?
How to Start Losing Weight Now
1. Write down your goals. Are your expectations realistic?
2. Write down the landmarks you want to achieve and keep it visible. For example, if you want to lose 10 pounds before Christmas write that down.
3. Picture yourself achieving your goal and set yourself up for success.
4. Remove trigger foods from your house.
5. Don’t sabotage yourself. Practice positive thinking, positive self-talk, and be your own cheering squad. “I am so proud that I lost 3 pounds this week!”
6. Create a support system. Surround yourself with people who will support and encourage your weight loss goals.
7. Give yourself room to experiment. Vary your diet and food so you don’t become bored. Always have an apple for a snack? Try carrots and hummus instead.
8. Write down all your food, drink, nibbles, snacks, tastes, etc. Whether you’re counting calories or doing Weight Watchers points being accountable to yourself makes a huge difference.
9. Don’t beat yourself up if you slip up and eat too much. But on the flip side, don’t give up either. A slip up is GOING to happen no matter what. The trick is to keep with the plan and not slip back into old habits. Don’t give up!
10. Plan your meals (even the snacks) and have healthy items on hand.
11. Drink more water.
12. Exercise. You don’t have to become a gym rat but incorporating daily exercise in some form (at least vigorous a few times a week at minimum) you will see results.
QUESTION: Are you already thinking about new year’s resolutions? Are you starting them early?