I mentioned that I’m reading “Nancy Clark’s Sports Nutrition”. I’m about half way through the book so far. I wanted to share some of the notable things I’ve read so far.
The good news: I already do a lot of the things lined out in this book. (Disclaimer: some of what I will post are direct quotes, but most are just notes that I took while reading. I will try to note the direct quotes when I can.)
The first tip is simple. Create a Winning Eating Plan:
1. Eat 3 kinds of food at meals.
2. Choose foods in their natural state.
3. Think moderation.
She really emphasized whole grains throughout the book. Here are some of her suggestions:
*Whole grain cereals
*Bagels (pumpernickel, rye)
*Muffins (bran, corn, oatmeal)
*Stoned Wheat bread
*Whole grain crackers.
Quick Snack Ideas
*Add cranberries/mandarin oranges to salads
And she also emphasized PEANUT BUTTER. Peanut butter seems to be the magic food for athletes.
Here are some ideas for meals:
1) Banana with a glass of skim milk.
2) Yogurt with high fiber cereal
3) Whole wheat bagel with peanut butter
4) Pita bread with low fat cottage cheese
1) Salad with a whole wheat bagel
2) Peanut butter and raisin sandwich
3) Turkey and pita sandwich
1) English Muffin Pizzas
2) Grilled chicken with brown rice and steamed veggies
1) Peanut butter and crackers
2) Instant oatmeal
3) Homemade Trail mix
4) Bananas or other fresh fruit
More later! 🙂
QUESTION: What is your “super” food?