Last night’s run was a good one! I am really happy that I was able to increase my distance once again with no pain. I felt really good during my 2.75 mile run on the treadmill. In fact I REALLY really wanted to keep going to 3 miles. But I was a good girl and didn’t push it.
The gym madness has already begun. The gym was really crowded. Too many people trying to use too few machines. Not fun. January will not be my favorite time of year, that’s for sure.
I wasn’t able to use some of my favorite weight machines because they were always occupied. I made do with the other machines I like and focused on my triceps. While I’ve made a lot of progress I wish my triceps were stronger and toner.
Hey Single Girls! Here’s a tip: if you want to meet a guy at the gym, just work out in the free weight/scary men’s weight area of the gym. So I headed over there to use the chest machines and whoever used the Bench Press last didn’t return their weights to the stack. I was about to remove them when some guy kindly hurried up to me and offered to remove them. I guess since I’m a GIRL and all I couldn’t lift 45 pound weights. 😉 I mock but he was just being chivalrous.
After the Bench Press I was able to do the Plie Squats again! Last week I tried them and had uncomfortable knee pain so I quit. Last night was a success all around.
Calories Burned: 686
Went home and ate leftovers from Star and since “I Run So I Can Eat”:
How to Choose the Right Gym
It’s that time of year…everyone is making New Year’s Resolutions and gym’s are doing everything they can to lure in new customers. So how do you know what’s right for you?
For me when it came time to buy a membership to a gym I knew there were only two factors I cared about (at that time):
1. Swimming Pool. Duh, my primary source of fitness has always been swimming. But you’d be surprised how many gyms do not have a pool.
2. Convenience. I hate commuting–period. If the gym is too far away from my house I just won’t go. Plus the hours need to be convenient for my schedule too.
Here are some tips to help you narrow down the list:
- Good Equipment: Is everything working? Are there enough machines so you’re not fighting over a treadmill or elliptical every time you work out?
- Variety of Machines: There should be a nice variety of machines. Different brands and types of treadmills, ellipticals, row machines, etc. Plus there should also be weight machines AND free weights. Variety will keep it interesting.
- Classes: If classes are more your speed check the gym schedule for hours and variety of classes offered. If none of the classes will work with your schedule, keep looking at gyms.
- Price: Check online for deals, specials and coupons (check Costco as well). I bought my 2 year membership to 24hr Fitness for $300 at Costco. Great deal!
- Locker Rooms: Is everything clean? Hygiene is a biggie for me. If a gym looks dirty/moldy or gross I won’t go. Same with the pool–is the water clean?
- Personal Training: Some people need a personal trainer to get them motivated, or give them tips. It’s really important to find the right trainer you can work with. Don’t settle for less! Also, the trainer should have some sort of degree or certification. Ask them!
Final Tip: When you sign up for a free week before signing any contracts be sure to workout at the SAME time you’ll use the gym if you belonged. That way you can accurately gauge how busy it will be.
QUESTION: What are your priorities for choosing a gym?